FOLLOW-UP

To: ardunbill@webtv.net, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: FOLLOW-UP
From: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2001 18:13:15 -0700 (PDT)
ON THINGS THAT GO "BUMP" in the block.

Being an old motorcycle racer, one of my rules of
mechanical application is: "Arggghhh, safety wire
- -good."  Consequently, when I installed the new
cam, I drilled and safety wired the timing
sprocket bolts.  When I ran the wire back to the
starting point and finished twisting it, I
snipped it off and folded it back over the head
of the bolt.

I had no idea that the head of the bolt passed in
such close proximity to a tiny spot weld inside
the timing cover which holds the timing indicator
in place on the outside.  Every time that bolt
went by that little weld bead - -"thump" from the
safety wire.

I'm gonna fold the new safety wire flat along
side the bolt head.

BTW, how much play (slack) is acceptable in a SBC
double roller chain?

Dick J
In East Texas
http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/