BRD Cleanup Standard, Special Recreation Permits

To: dadio1@flashcom.net, jerry.l.larson@lmco.com, arm_inc@rocketmail.com,
Subject: BRD Cleanup Standard, Special Recreation Permits
From: Mike_Bilbo@nv.blm.gov
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2001 21:23:32 -0700
This message is to current and potential special recreation permit (SRPs)
holders.  Last year BLM implemented a post event inspection methodology at
the Burning Man 2000 site, which we are referring to as the Post-Event
Clean Up Standard.  This was developed over a 2-year period because we
needed a measurable post-event evaluation technique.  Starting this current
use season this post-event evaluation method is being applied to all SRPs.
For Burning Man, there is an additional part, known as a latent effects
inspection, held in spring.

The method being applied to all SRPs is a series of random transects to
determine the efficiency/ effectiveness of post-event cleanup.  Each
permittee will be contacted after this inspection has been done at their
site (you are free to join in or send a representative), although they are
usually done the weekend after your event.  Depending on the results, an
SRP case file will either be closed out or remain open until cleanup is
satisfactorily completed.  The standard is tough, but fair as it is being
applied to all permits.  This past weekend the Self-Invitational Golf
Tournament and the Mudroc invitational rocket launch sites from 6/22-25/01
were evaluated and they will be contacted on the results as soon as I
receive the jpgs that documented the inspections.  In places like the
rocket site, GPS coordinates helped relocate the site.

METHOD OF INSPECTION

An event site is evaluated during final inspection through the use of
transects through the event sites.  This measurable cleaning standard is
effected by a team of individuals who intensively collect the sample(s).
The transects are 100 feet wide by 1,500 feet long (150,000 square feet).
12-15 people can effectively span the 100 feet and that is the desireable
inspecting party.  Members of the party can be a combination of BLM staff
and volunteers, permittee staff, and members of the public/other permits.

Events such as outfitter and guiding, OHV races, horse endurance, this
methodology can be applied to your camps but different monitoring methods
are used for the activity (ATV, meeting you enroute, etc).  The inspection
doesn't necessarily require anything on your part unless we are
coordinating on meeting for the transects.

STANDARD

Any collected debris laid out in a single layer cannot exceed 2.25 square
feet.  At least 50% of any non-native debris must be organic materials.
The size of any one item can be no larger than a quarter (coin).

DISCUSSION

Burning Man receives at least three random transects along a randomly
selected route (text and photos to go up on our website soon and I'll try
to forward these to you also).  Linear-shaped events, such as rocket and
landsail camps will receive at least two transects, one along the line of
habitation and one intersecting habitation and extending into the activity
area.  The golf course receives at least two transects along or across the
fairways (map at:  www.keisterphoto.com/golf/br_hole00.htm).  In each case
additional transects could be conducted if the inspecting party feels it is
warranted.  GPS is used to establish and record transects.

Given the size of Burning Man we have implemented a follow-up site
inspection a following Spring, after seasonal weathering, to determine any
latent adverse impacts, such as pit depressions, bumps or surfacing buried
materials, to insure that the site is in pre-event condition.  It is
possible that this phase could be applied to other permits if it is felt by
the inspecting party that such need is warranted.  A goal is to always
strive toward 100% leave no trace.  Burning Man met the standard in 2000.
That is significant, given the event population.

What this standard means to you and your clients is that we cannot assume
that a good job has been done just because the event/camp area generally
"appears" clean.  A smaller site does not necessarily preclude transects of
lesser sizes.  You need to appoint a cleanup crew and detail the site and
activity area(s).  You also need to hook your clients and website visitors
into the concepts of Leave No Trace by actively involving them in the
effort (www.lnt.org) and your clients physically on site, perhaps using
straight-forward methods, perhaps through competition.  At events I haved
observed stuff blowing off across the playa.  And I observed a tremendous
asset to mitigate this - kids on bikes and other conveyances who might be
encouraged to go get it.  Maybe there's an incentive prize for who brings
in the most, etc.

You might consider sending a staff member to a Masters Course or purchasing
LNT materials for distribution.  In the latter, I am always willing to help
you as I can.

Last year, we test collected off all the other event sites and found a
surprising amount of debris.  One site had a huge amount of cigarette butts
- probably more than 2.25 square feet worth.  Another site had substantial
activity-related debris.