Class Jumping

To: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>, "David Freiburger"
Subject: Class Jumping
From: "rgribble" <rgribble@carolina.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 23:33:48 -0700
Thanks all for the comments about MuscleMotorSports. It's a fun place to
work (and play)
example: I bought a used 350+ SBC engine at an auction last week, aluminum
block, Kinsler fuel injection, 23 Deg heads, and some other exotic looking
accessories. Guy at the auction said I paid way to much for this "junk"
engine. A little investigation today shows it's an original Hendrick's GTP
Indy motor (way cool!) and looks to be in perfect shape (500 miles on it)
with exotic internal parts. Now I don't want to sell it! (I have that
problem with a lot of stuff I buy)
BTW, Any LSR member is invited to lunch on Grib if you come visit, it is a
very unusual place. Also, the house is always open if you need a place to
stay.

Class Jumping:
My feelings are that it is the rules as they stand right now. It's up to the
individual that has the ability to run multiple classes to obtain points as
he/she may. Remember, there's no money involved in this sport, only the
respect of your peers. You can respect or not one who obtains points by
using the "system" to his advantage. When awards banquet time comes, we all
know how well a particular racer did that year and can give or not our
respect.

Personally, I like being able to set multiple records in classes above my
class. However, my first run in an open record class is all out (201 MPH
last meet!) I know I could run in 8 classes and dog the first runs, hit it
hard the next meets and be very high in the points. I'm out here to have fun
and that's my way of doing it. I hope I get the respect of my fellow racers,
if not, I still go home happy. It's just my way.
In regards to David's remarks, I understand the limitation and reluctance of
building a double A car, it's true that if you were going for points, you
would not build that car. However, I'm thinking on building a big block for
my T'Bird so I can set a 235MPH (or more) record at Maxton. When I ran a
flathead ford dragster I would run for top eliminator against Hemi's (and
won sometimes).
I see both sides of the issue and agree this issue needs to be addressed. I
guess those that have enough money could build a car that could be modified
to run enough classes to be tops in the points and still fit the new rules?
I'm all for changing the rules and would support ideas to make this whole
thing fair to all. Truth is, we'll never have rules that satisfy everyone,
but that doesn't mean we shouldn't try. I don't hold an office in ECTA but
am willing to help get this project started if someone wants it.

Grib
Do what others Won't and you'll do what others Can't for the rest of your
life