MSD ignition questions

To: List Land Speed <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: MSD ignition questions
From: "Mike D MEIERLE" <mike.d.meierle@alcatel.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 14:58:54 -0700
Please excuse my ignorance but here goes....
I understand the basics of ignition systems but I having a little
trouble with this MSD stuff. The concept of providing
multiple sparks during the combustion cycle makes sense to me. You want
to ignite and burn as much fuel possible during this event. Ultimately
better than a single spark from the HEI system (which were currently
using) and expanding on the
One BIG high energy spark of a CDI system.
I had a talk with Bob ( gotta get last names) at El Mirage between runs
(well almost, I was in line behind "One Trick Pony"), and he convinced
me a MSD system with crank trigger appears to be the way to go , What
I'm trying to figure out is, what is the distributor's job in this
system and what is a reluctor? Is the distributor still going round and
round just connecting spark to the correct cylinder? The crank trigger
is repacing the points and distributor cam? thus giving an accurate
signal as to the crankshaft position to the ignition control box, which
in turn is calculating advance/retard based upon user input?
Then there are all these modules and multistage units and cockpit
adjustable things. My head is starting to hurt. I need a wiring diagram,
a picture......Oh yeah the reluctor what is it for again? do you need it
with a crank trigger?

Sorry for rambling, We just reached our top speed ever and I KNOW there
is more speed in this car (D/STR).

--
Michael Meierle
Alcatel Carrier Internetworking Division