Let the Maze begin

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Let the Maze begin
From: "Doug Anderson" <boogiewoogie12@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 01:53:44 +0000
Later on, back at th Ranch;  ..or Crazy bout a Merkerr-ie!

Date line, July 22 , 2001

Yup ol Dirty Dougs finally gone off  th deep end this time.  Done got
hisself a Mercury.   1950 to be exact.   Flatmotor.   Cast gold.  Crude.
Poor mans OFFY.  255 cubic inches of smokin snortin flatty   Seriously
though, this is my mental commitment to untold hours of pain, blood,
drudgery, skinned knuckles, and joy.  Theres no turnin back.  Yup, gonna
build me one more car before I leave this earth,,,, a track racin 28
Roadster Pickup circa 1951 or there abouts!

She (Miss Merc ) was ALLEGEDLY  running 5 years ago  ,,,, Got'er complete;
from Intake to drain plug, with the crank pulley, the Dizzy, the water
pumps,-da whole enchilada...  Had to take the Merc-o-matic offer
myownself.   Somebody went to the trouble of painting the motor in the car,
and installing a nice OFFY dual  carb manifold onnnit.   Now I ask ya;
would you do that if she wasnt a good runner?   Naw I didnt think so.  Me
neither.  I might have found a winner here boys.  We took alla plugs out for
a lookie loo and found just blackie carbon starin back at me.   No sign of
oil wetness in any hole.  Rubbed alla electrodes on the back of my hand; and
no oily streaks of any kind All uniformly sooty is all.  Yippie!   Too
much choke!   She turns over nice and even feels like shes got decent
compression.   I really dont know how a flatty oughtta  feel  when hand
cranked over, so Im a little in the dark here But I got a good feelin
this here motor might could be a nice starter engine for  my RPU  project
Im thinkin    -You know, like a good buddy usta say;  you just dont find
these things at K-mart.   Hell good flatties, let alone Mercs dont exactly
grow on trees anymore  -And heres the best part; I got it from one of my
younger generation  friends, who not only gave me a most righteous price,
but has me signed up on the slo-pay plan  and then, to top that, He told me
he was cleaning out his stash because he was tired of doing swapmeets, and
MADE me take all sorts of rusty old Ford parts, including a complete late
Merc stick shift bellhousing, the inspection cover, front dust cover, the
throwout fork, and starter for same, an extra starter, a stock generator
bracket, a fan on a shaft. (not sure what its really from..) with a bearing
and pulley on a right angle bracket, a stock Ford & Merc  head mounted oil
filter, an extra road draft tube, a new intake gasket, a decent long style
pressure plate, another throwout fork, a clutch disc with half of one sides
lining right blown off it, ( who sez flatties dont make power ???)   a
bunch of firewall throttle linkage, and two truck water pumps with the handy
motormount brackets so cherished for HOT ROD use.  He also made me take the
complete original Merc-o-matic Trans assembly as well.  ....And a Partridge
inna pear tree.  The bum.

The engine still has the OFFY manifold, so instead of removing it, I gave
him an identical Weiand in exchange.   Did I do good ?

You know every once in a while,
              but oh so infrequently,,, Murphy does go on vacation

Till next time,its  Dirty Doug Anderson,  signin off

  who allas says,

   " if it's got a number on it,
                               ...and makes a lotta noise,it's groovy "