Bonneville Bikes

To: "Jonathan Amo" <webmaster@landracing.com>
Subject: Bonneville Bikes
From: "glen barrett" <speedtimer@charter.net>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2001 18:56:23 -0700
Jon and list
Some months back the question came up regarding electric(battery)powered
motorcycles. While doing research on another car from the seventies I came
across this in the 1975 Bonneville program. I don't remember who was asking
or building one but here is a tidbit of information.

I am quoting it from the program. How about a hundred grand bike? Mike
Corbin set an electrifying record of 165.367 mph on one motor, then made a
two motor pass at 171.102 mph. Those Yardley Batteries go for only 5-grand
each. Motors are A4B-XF jet starter motors rated at 100 horses each with a
weight of only 78 lbs.

There are a couple of small pictures of the bike at speed and one of the
battery and motor arrangement. Just thought it would be of interest for a
challenge a few years back.
Glen (packed and leaving at 4:00 am) see ya on the salt