Quiet/first driver

To: "land-speed@autox.team.net" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Quiet/first driver
From: wspotter <wester6935@home.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2001 18:58:55 -0700
The first car/truck I drove was a 1927 Chevrolet that was heavy duty. My
grandfather had been a cement contractor and still did pre-cast stuff on
Saturdays and evenings.  He used to deliver cement pre-cast septic tanks and
burial vaults with it.  It wouldn't take the road to the dump in low gear so
you turned around and backed up a couple of hills.  Learned how to back up
by driving a team of horses hitched to a hay wagon.  Didn't drive the truck
much during the war because we didn't have the gas stamps to spare.  Grandpa
finally sold it to a collector who was thrilled to get it ... back around
1947.  That was the year I first saw the speedometer needle buried on a '47
Hudson 2-door.  The first car I personally put many miles on was a new '49
Ford business coupe.  Big disappointment because it was "only" a 6 cylinder.
Took my drivers test in a '51 Pontiac 2-door.  First car I owned was a '53
Studebaker Commander coupe.  Now they are all collectables and considered
antiques.

Like my friends comment about his first car ... an early 50's Hudson.  "I'd
never have gotten married the first time if the front seat on that Hudson
hadn't been so darn wide!"

Wes