When we were kids

To: William T Smith <WmTSmith@landracing.com>, Want1937hd@aol.com
Subject: When we were kids
From: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 06:50:21 -0700 (PDT)
When I burned the back half of my dad's F1 in the
trash fire, he hadn't even shown me the clutch or
accelerator yet.  He showed me how to put it in
"granny", turn on the key, press the starter, and
drive.  I would then get lined up at my
"destination", and turn the key off.  When the
truck stopped moving, I would take it out of
"granny" and put it in reverse, turn the key back
on, and press the starter again.

(I used the same technique to teach all three of
my sons to drive in a 1942 jeep.  By the time my
daughter came along, there were no more stick
shifts! She only knows automatics.)

Didn't Parnelli Jones or somebody win an Indy
that way back around 1964??  Driving across the
finish line on the starter motor.

Dick J
http://phonecard.yahoo.com/