Must have been at Bonneville

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Must have been at Bonneville
From: "Nafzger" <nafzger@vtc.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 20:09:04 -0700
List,
Blew a trailer tire on the way to Wendover, got thru Tech fine Friday and
fueled and fired the motor, was warming the motor up in the pits on Sat. AM
to go to the line for the first run and it just shut off. After several
hours we found the tach shorted internally. Of course it was a weekend. It
was a 3 3/4 " mag tach and none in Salt Lake, Summit, or anyplace else we
tried. Had to run without a tach until Wed.
We ran over something on the long course and it tore a hole in the right
side of the car just behind where the exhaust came out. Fortunately no tire
damage.
 Then we started blowing oil out the puke tank breather. We decided to come
home while the rods were still wrapped around the crankshaft.
It's frustrating because we were just starting to get the pill correct with
the new air box and had reached 304.6 mph when it all started to go
downhill. Our engine guy who we really depend on was hung up in Kentucky so
we were "tuning by phone".
Should have gone fishing.
Howard