Speedweek

To: Land Speed <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Speedweek
From: "Thomas E. Bryant" <saltracer@awwwsome.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 07:22:32 -0700
Hello List,

Congratulations to all that reached their goals, especially the new 200
MPH Members. To those that didn't perform as planned, keep your chin up,
we are still the most fortunate souls in the universe to have driven
down the "long black line" for yet another year. This is about having
fun...while we learn from our mistakes.

Got home about 8 PM Friday evening, today desalted the truck, trailer
and race car and stowed most of the equipment. We had a good trip
homeward until about 20 miles west of Reno when a trailer tire littered
the highway. I left Margaret with the trailer and race car and went to
Reno to purchased a tire. It was only about a two hour delay so I can't
really complain. It could have happened in a much more inconvenient
place.

We really had a good week, but it was busier than I had planned, so I
didn't get to visit and meet as many list people as I had hoped. Some of
you looked me up and I appreciate that. We didn't go as fast as I had
thought we would, not an uncommon problem, but we did lots of laps.
Myself, Jeff, Barry and my brother Gary all drove. My brother took three
runs to get his "A" license, but did it in style with a 220+ MPH  run. I
took the first ride and the water pump didn't come on, so it got super
hot and toasted a plug in #4 cylinder.  We replaced the plug and Barry
took his first ride only to blow the porcelain out of the plug in the
same cylinder. Evidently, the plug was not tightened properly and
overheated causing the failure. From that point on the car ran over 220
every run but one, (except two licensing passes) with a top of 225 MPH.
Nothing we did would improve the performance, so I am still searching
for answers. The car made 14 full course passes and one shut off at the
4 mile when it lost a water hose.

I leak checked the engine to find the exhaust valve in #4 and #5
leaking, so the heads have to come off. I am going to do some more work
on the cooling system and make some other changes including a new fuel
pump. It seemed that going richer did not change the top end, we ran
from a 0.146 to a 0.136 jet with very little change in plug readings or
speed. If it looked like we were just doing laps, that wasn't the case,
we were making changes almost every run, but without results.

As I said, we had a great week! Barry got eight passes, seven above 220
MPH and the top speed. My brother finally got his "A" license, he made
his first two (125 & 150 MPH) in the Pierson Coupe, so it has been a
while getting there. This was the second meet that he had driven this
car, having gone 193 MPH two or three years ago. Jeff had to settle for
a couple of passes.

I will get the whole story on my web site eventually.

Tom, Redding CA - #216 D/GCC