TIRES, ratings and inspection

To: "glen barrett" <speedtimer@charter.net>,
Subject: TIRES, ratings and inspection
From: "Rick Byrnes" <Rick@rbmotorsports.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2001 19:37:48 -0400
For all that are interested

Interestingly enough, when I investigated with Goodyear engineering, the
small Top Fuel tire I will be running on my new lakester/liner, The
development engineer,  indicated the capability is 300 MPH @ 1000 lbs load
and 60 psig inflation.  They have not and will not put it in writing, as is
the case with all Frontrunners, but clearly have made the statement.  No
tire company in this day of litigation is going to say categorically that
their tire is "absolutely safe"  especially above 300 MPH.  There are too
many variables.  The speed and loads that are at Goodyears site are
"recommended" maximum safe limits, but do not account for tire condition and
possible overload.  Additionally, Goodyear in the technical section of the
site makes specific statements relative to the "Warranty" or implied
performance.  Notice that speed and loads are mentioned Only on LSR 300 MPH
tires.  Nothing is published on others.
In these points I am in agreement with Dave Dahlgreen.

BUT, I suggest that WE, the engineers, Car owners, builders, drivers, and
crew members, must be responsible for our own choices (within the
guidelines) and complete our own inspection and maintenance.  We know if the
tire has been in use for 5 - 10 years with lots of passes and temperature
cycles. We should know if it has been or is being overloaded by the dynamics
of our vehicles.  Above all WE must have  the discipline to Initiate the
changes for our own safety and well being.  We can control the margin of
safety relative to our own machines.
It MUST be our choice.

This process cannot be JUST the responsibility of the inspectors who
represent the sanctioning body and rule makers.

We must control our own destiny with private and intense scrutiny of our own
vehicles and systems.  We the builders know when we are stretching the limit
or a rule...................We MUST be responsible.

Rick Byrnes