Re: TIRES, ratings and inspection

To: "Rick Byrnes" <Rick@rbmotorsports.com>
Subject: Re: TIRES, ratings and inspection
From: "rgribble" <rgribble@carolina.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2001 11:31:48 -0700
Well said Rick,
My two cents....I don't know the answers....
If we look at NASCAR, their rules and procedures and the current controversy
over seat belts,
They "recommend" standards and will not allow anyone to race that doesn't
meet those standards. Their tires are provided by a single vendor and you
can't race with anything else. They do this partly to avoid liability but
even with it they have many accidents.  Obviously, (we) our sanctioning
bodies, can not, (maybe even does not) want that tight of regulation or
liability.

I disagree that we can leave safety up to the individual team(s). I know
many racers from very poor to very (very) well funded and I can tell you
this.. If there's a way to make the car go faster (with or without more
dollars), they will do it, regardless of the safety factor. Recently a crew
chief was banned from NASCAR because he cut inside pieces out of roll bars
where there were joints (obviously a safety item and done just to save a few
ounces). You can't leave safety up to the racer.We've all seen things raced
that we wouldn't get into for any money, and I know I've pushed the limit
myself in the past. (Young men know the rules, older men know how to get
around them)

Tech inspection should center around safety and tires are a major safety
item. Look, a (well funded) racer in front of me showed up at inspection
without his seat belts bolted in, so we need a good strong (and fair)
inspection system and this past meet's was excellent. It's a very difficult
thing to be the one that sits in judgment as to weather one can race his car
due to tire type/condition/age. Perhaps, I wouldn't have been able to run
with my rain tires if left up to the discretion of some inspectors. I'm
lucky to have the funds and availability for the tires of choice. In fact I
found one of the rain tires that had slight age checks in it. I'm quite sure
it was safe but I had another so I switched it. If I didn't have a
spare....don't know but I'd probably have run it. However, if I was an
inspector....I'd could have turned the guy down and ruined his trip. I spun
my car twice testing tires yet one inspector told me if I spun out again he
would send me home. Obviously, I believe Tech Inspection should be a team
and no one individual should have sole judgment on arbitrary matters.

>From the driver's side, we've all innovators, that's why we're on this list.
Trying new ideas (at our own risk) is part of the thrill and science of it.
As long as it doesn't hurt the sport and others, we still need to push the
limit. Inspectors need to be flexible enough to allow for this
experimentation yet strong enough to police the driver with poor judgment or
financial irresponsibility.I think our present system is close to that and
if we continue to improve it we'll get there.
Just my thoughts...
Grib
Do what others Won't and you'll do what others Can't for the rest of your
life