Speed Week Bike concerns

To: "Clay, Dale" <Dale.Clay@mdhelicopters.com>,
Subject: Speed Week Bike concerns
From: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 06:32:25 -0700 (PDT)
Clay, I encountered the same kind of problem on
long tracks like Daytona, Road Atlanta and
Mid-Ohio when I was roadracing a bike.  You can't
see where you are going on the long straights or
bankings. I quite racing bikes before it really
became a first line concern to me, but I had
toyed with building an LSR bike (even started
working over a frame) before I swore I would
never race a bike again (hell, I'm pushing 60
years old!).

I had thought about mounting a shorter tank
rearward on the frame, butted up against the
seat, and leaving about 6" of space between the
front of the tank and the frame neck.  I was
going to put two small mirrors on either side of
the front down tube and try to set them so I
could see straight ahead by watching the two
mirrors.

It might sound like a true "Mickey Mouse" idea,
but it was the result of government training in
"thinking outside the box" and I was going to try
it.  It just might work.  Once you start using
the mirrors, within a couple of seconds, you
brain will adjust to everything backwards, and
you will only have a momentary re-adjustment when
you lift from the crouch and go back to direct
vision where everything is forward again.

Now, is that crazy or what?

Dick J