Re: Joe Amo/Terry Hunt/Brain King

To: land-speed@autox.team.net, Roadrunnerengr@msn.com,
Subject: Re: Joe Amo/Terry Hunt/Brain King
From: ARDUNDOUG@aol.com
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 15:47:14 EDT
In a message dated 8/30/2001 10:33:32 AM Pacific Daylight Time, kturk@ala.net
writes:

> and Brain just had to hang on to a Flat head with
> some silly Ardun conversion for a couple of miles....
>
> Pretty awesome stuff..... it makes the Bonneville Two club just that much
> more desirable for me by their Presence...
>
> Congratulations again guys... Thanks for the Memories... Ya made my
> Speedweek
>
> Keith

Keith,
       It takes a classy guy like yourself to get some satisfaction from your
compatriots clearing the hurdle that you're spending and working so
feverishly to get over. Thanks for the kind words.
       Brian and I pulled the ailing head (head gasket blown between #7 & #8
on the gas record runs) the day after arriving home, took the head to be
surfaced, pulled the pan (moderate garbage in the Oberg filter, but the
bearings look OK), are relocating the blower burst plate on the front of the
manifold instead of the rear (easier on the drivers underwear), and adapting
a new 12amp SBC MSD magneto to the Ardun/Merc. The Vertex seemed to be
complaining about the blower pressure.
       The car ran very hard for the first 3 miles of the course, making 215
in the 1/4 on alky and 191 on gas. On the alky qualifying pass we had
overfilled the C-4 tranny and Bri was getting an ATF bath by the end of the
3rd mile so he clicked it, relegating him to the same measured mile the next
day on his return run. Traction was becoming an issue by the time the car
reached 219 in the 1st timed mile. We feel that without a wing or any ballast
the present setup might be good for 230 tops. The engine is a 258ci and the
4:71 showed about 16psi with the teflon lined alky blower and 18psi with the
gas blower (more heat making more boost, I guess).
       On gas, Crew-Chief Kent Walton had to license first on the short
course at 174. On his first long course qualifying pass he had the "Big-Bang"
approaching the first set of lights, soiling his shorts and probably blowing
the head gasket. We richened the tuneup considerably, changed the blower
burst plate, and sent him out again for his 195 qualifying pass. Back in
impound we discovered the leaking head gasket between #7 & #8 cylinders. We
made the decision to "wing-it" the next morning.
      When we fired the engine at the starting line for the return run there
was initially a considerable amount of water coming out of the drivers side
exhaust, but I guess  there was still enough "squeeze" to fire the cylinders
and enough "breeze" from the blower to dry the coolant water on the plugs. It
ran 194+ in the first timed mile, The guys near the pits said it sounded a
little flat, but was hitting on all 8 cylinders. The average was 195+, so, a
record is still a record.
       I'd like to try for 200 on gas sometime in the future. I think that
the setup has the potential to do it. On the advice of both Gene Adams and
Enderle we blocked off the port nozzles on gas and ran all the fuel through
the Hilborn "hat" using 30-A nozzles. Kinda scarey, but the plugs looked
about the same.........Ardun Doug King