Re: wandering track/chutes--Rookie Runs

To: ARDUNDOUG@aol.com
Subject: Re: wandering track/chutes--Rookie Runs
From: William T Smith <WmTSmith@landracing.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 15:37:20 -0600 (MDT)
My greatest fear was not passing the get out test.  I
was fortunate to get to drive a great car with my eng.
An was able to set a 252 record in AA/GL with
two "legal" lisc. passes. What an experience to make my
first time ever race runs in a car like Skips. I pulled
the chute every time when we go over 200. wmts

Quoting ARDUNDOUG@aol.com:

Daylight Time,
> ddahlgren@snet.net writes:
>

> > i know they have a new driver orientation and a
license deal but is there
> > new
> > car orientation and new car license where we play
run it up to a couple
> of
> > different speeds and spotters watch things like
stability and chute
> > deployment
> > on a new car.  With half of these cars being home
built i would think a
> > couple
> > of 'flight tests' before using the thing in anger
might be a smart idea
> > make
> > sure all systems work well or as designed ( you
pick which is better).
> > Dave Dahlgren
> >
> > glen barrett wrote:
> > >
> > > OK Keith & Doug
> > > I am a believer in always using the chute. Some
time things are going
> on
> > > that the driver doesn't know about. I know they
are a pain to keep
> clean
> > and
> > > pack. I especially would like to see the new guys
use them so they know
> > > where they are in an emergency.The other is it
gets you off the track
> > sooner
> > > and the guy on the starting line is not baking so
long.
speed@autox.team.net>
> > > Sent: Sunday, September 02, 2001 5:52 PM
> > > Subject: Re: wandering track/chutes

to me to save that
> ordeal
> > > for
that I didn't get down to

> > the
Hmmm maybe I can use my
> > Chute
> > > >

> Dave,
>        A new car really gets a thorough going-over
the first time thru
> Tech.
> Any new driver has the Tech with the car he (or she)
is going to drive.
> This
> includes a pretty comprehensive "car-orientation",
during which the driver
> has to demonstrate their familiarity with the
controls (especially
> emergency)
> and do an emergency exit in "full-dress".
>        The licensing program speaks for itself. The
rookie driver goes
> through a "rookie-orientation" that includes a tour
of the race course and
> lecture by Greg Waters. The rookie than makes
licensing passes up to and
> including either the category desired or one
qualifying for the record
> sought. In my case I licensed in the RedHead
streamliner, powered by my own

majordomo@autox.team.net