speedweek waiting

To: "Doug King" <ARDUNDOUG@aol.com>
Subject: speedweek waiting
From: "glen barrett" <speedtimer@charter.net>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 17:18:47 -0700
Doug
You are right in the incorrect wording. I should have said we do the best we
can with what we have. The volunteers and the time it takes to run the event
starts the day the meet is over for the following year.
The volunteers, over 100 give up vacation time to be at speedweek. This is
ok if you have other time to spend with the family on a separate time but
not everyone has this kind of time available.

Getting additional volunteers is hard to do plus the expense of rooms for
them. Getting the rooms would be difficult at best. The idea of the warm up
course with timing would require patrols, grading,emergency personnel,
timing equipment and the list goes on.

On top of  two trips to the salt weather permitting, the drylakes are run
six times  a year and if it happens again Muroc. Getting volunteers is the
hard part even at the lakes. There are times at the lakes that it is a one
run event, that makes it tough for everyone. Setting in line is not
something we like but have to deal with. If you run only Bonneville it
probably seems even worse to those  people.

We do our best and try to improve from others inputs. If you have a
suggestion put it in writing and mail it to the SCTA/BNI office. The mail is
read and discussed at the meetings. I don't think any one of us needs to get
hot under the collar.  My timing staff, which I am proud give 110% every
meet and will continue do so. No one is ever going to be pleased with some
of the staff  but they are what we have as officers and they have a hell of
a hard job as well.

Glen