spline shaft query

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: spline shaft query
From: john robinson <john@engr.wisc.edu>
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2001 10:04:15 -0500
Howdy,
        I just picked up a 200 hp water brake dyno, used for testing Allison
M-18
reduction gear boxes. It appears to be in good condition, however, it needs
an external splined shaft to mate with the test engine. I do have a
blueprint that came with it, and  the shaft is listed in the blueprints as
a 20/30 pitch 24 tooth external spline, base circle 1.039,  O.D. 1.312.
        Any body got any ideas as to what shaft I could use to drive the dyno?
rear axle maybe? out of something fairly normal? I could I suppose try to
machine a splined shaft, but I would rather not test my machining abilities
with it, methinks it is beyond my ability and equipment.....thanks

              John Robinson, Mechanician
   Mechanical Engineering University of Wisconsin
                 1513 University Ave.
                  Madison, Wi. 53706
                     608-262-3606
                   FAX 608-265-2316
        Current World Land Speed Record Holder
                 Bonneville Salt Flats
            H/GCC 92 cu.in. 1980 Dodge Colt
                   131.333 MPH set 1995
                   136.666 MPH set 1996
                   140.292 MPH set 2000
                   144.396 MPH set 2000
     MPS-PG 441 c.c. 1967 BSA Victor Motorcycle
                    95.193 MPH set 2001