9" ford housing

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: 9" ford housing
From: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2001 04:44:03 -0500
everyone knows my car is hard to push.... and handled like junk at
speedweek.    I have been searching for answers...

Competitiion design there in Salt Lake Jumped up and helped me rebuild the
rear springs in a day.... it was awesome to see them work.... and woudln't
take a dime of my money... just great folks...  Problem was we got some used
leafs out of a junk yard and they didn't match so the preload in the rear
end wasn't right.... fair enough... I ordered a new set of leaf's from
Landrum and they came in.... While installing them I wanted to check the
rear end housing to see if it was Square....

Dave Picked Toe'd out and negative camber.... and Yep he was right.... it
was toe'd out and had a bit of negative camber....

none of this is really interesting.... the question is How do you fix it?  I
called Curries and Sal at Total Cost involved.... and Dave and I went
through it..... Geez I might be able to make a fixture to hold the rear end
in the Press.... put a little pressure on it and use a bit of heat....
Bingo.... instant squared rear end.....

The way I checked it was I bolted on a couple of straps of angle iron to the
axle flanges using the lug nuts.... keep them in the center of the axle and
as I spun them around ( one on each side) I could take a side to side
measurement and the rear end was straight when the measurement didn't change
when I spun them around ....front to back or top to bottom....

This isn't as good as using a fixture.... but the honest answer is it's as
good as most folks use in the industry....

Keith ( fun stuff )