Re: 9" ford housing

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 9" ford housing
From: "Bill Bennett" <benettw@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2001 10:18:33 -0400
Every once in awhile I get involved in designing tooling or gauge fixtures
for work. This looks like a good one to tackle. If I am wrong someone please
tell me. Seems to me with a 9 inch you could make a fixture from an empty
center housing. Using the carrier bearing mounts to hold an insert with a
small laser mounted in the center. Using one on each side you could do both
sides at one time. On the tube flanged end you could make  a clear graduated
cross hair plate to slide in place of the axle bearing. The laser would pin
point on the scale which direction of toe and camber. You wouldn't be able
to measure degrees without a calculator because of tube length. I would
think you would want 0 camber and toe for LSR. Only reason to have camber is
to adjust for tire contact patch and usually comes into play when you run
tire stagger. As to toe someone correct me here if I miss this, but couldn't
toe be corrected some what by center housing gasket thickness? What about
pinion angle, would you want the horizontal grad line parallel with the
pinion, level, or in some other alignment such as vehicle rake? All this
would make sure that the axle tube is aligned to the carrier, but if
something is wrong from the bearing out then the measurements would be off.
If the concentricity of the bearing was off then depending on how the
bearing was turned when installed in the housing could change the camber.
Same goes for the carrier bearings too. I hope everyone realizes that
manufacturers make different grades of the same bearing. We measure and sort
all our bearing parts prior to assembly. We use matched parts so that the
final product meets dimensional tolerances. So a lower grade is farther from
"perfect spec", but still within tolerance. These days though it is hard to
make a bad part.

Just my dollars worth,

Bill