9 Inch Floaters

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: 9 Inch Floaters
From: "Bill Bennett" <benettw@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2001 11:07:30 -0400
Since floaters came up a few weeks ago I got to looking at what all was
involved in one. I must say somewhat interesting. I have noticed that most
are made in the same way. A spindle on the axle tube to hold the tapered
bearings with a lock nut to adjust bearing preload. "Nascar way" But there
was one that stood out different than the others this was one made by a
major axle company that specializes in drag racing equipment. It uses the
same spindle idea with 2 dual thrust ball bearings retained by a large snap
ring and the drive plate retained with a bolt in the axle end, they use to
use a snap ring on the axle end too. By the way the spindles come either as
separate or  made with the axle tube. The spindles are available with camber
already machined into them or no camber. I just wonder if anybody has any
input into the pros and cons of different types of floaters out there? I
don't know enough yet about them to say which one I prefer. Hard to reject
the lock nut when every rounding round car out there uses them. But then
again the simplicity of the snap ring setup makes it appealing. Is this a
weakness not to be overlooked?

Bill