World of Speed

To: "land-speed@autox.team.net" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: World of Speed
From: wspotter <wester6935@home.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 22:09:25 -0700
All I can say is IF YOU WEREN'T THERE YOU MISSED A GREAT MEET!

About Tom Burkland after his incident....
My daughter delivered flowers to Tom Burkland in the hospital this morning.
Reported that he looks like Hell, lots of bruising around his eyes from the
seven rolls the liner took at 122 mph after the 430 mph run ... but he joked
with her and seemed to be in great spirits.  His wife was with him and he
was lucid and on top of things mentally.  They operated on his damaged left
forearm yesterday and apparently it went well.  He was released from the
hospital today.

All the runs are being posted on saltflats.com if you have not already
checked out the times.

Today was bikers heaven.  They were practically running laps.  I was helping
in the position Don Cash usually occupies at the meets and the ratio was
about three to one for motorcycles.  Tom Bryant seemed to have things pretty
well sorted out, his son was driving with times in the high 2+teens.

Russ Meeks was fighting the garbage truck motor.  His daughter Jackie was
the head cheer leader and kept is mind on the salt racing instead of the
usual Wendover distractions.  She wasn't driving this meet as far as I saw.

The weather was great!  Highs in the upper eighties, mornings were just a
bit cool so a sweatshirt was comfortable until the sun got high enough to
warm things but lots of people were just wearing tee-shirts.  The salt was
good.  It had been slightly damp on Tuesday when we got here ... just enough
to pack up on the underside of the truck.  By Sunday you really only had
salt on your tires.  Nothing to speak of on the fenderwell of the cars that
stayed on the areas that had been dragged.

Great people came around to say hello.  Mayf has already mentioned some.  He
was sporting in his pick up.  You'll notice The Yellow rose of Texas got a
record.  Not a frown in sight, even for those who were having problems.  It
was just too nice.

More later,

Wes