World of Speed

To: Land Speed <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: World of Speed
From: "Thomas E. Bryant" <saltracer@awwwsome.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 11:12:14 -0700
I suppose it is time that I gave an accurate report of my participation
at the World of Speed. The reports so far of our performance are
basically correct, we ran between 217 and 221 MPH.

Speedweek we were running too lean and couldn't get it rich enough to
show color on the plugs. I suspected the fuel pump (actually I had sent
the pump to Kinsler for a new shaft seal. They called me and said it had
low output, but I thought it had been performing well so I had it
resealed anyway.) I had a new pump at home  so I installed it before
going to the WOS. Now we had a new set of problems. Too rich on top and
I didn't have a big enough jet to get it lean enough. I can't really
complain too much, though, during the two meets we have run in excess of
110 miles flat out with no real engine problems, except for overheating,
which I believe we now have under control.

Beckett & Timney set a very respectable record (228.697 MPH), I knew
that it would be difficult to reclaim it, but, I don't give up easily!
Hopefully, at the World Finals (if it happens) we can get somewhere in
between our setup of the last two meets and come up with the numbers we
need. If not, then I'll have to get the new engine ready.

We did have a great time at the WOS. I met Mayf,  Tom Stewart & Russ
Meeks for the first time and, of course, visited with Jon a bit.

Tom, Redding CA - #216 D/GCC