Re: GMC 6

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: GMC 6
From: ARDUNDOUG@aol.com
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 12:35:27 EDT
In a message dated 9/27/2001 8:12:53 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
lsr_man@yahoo.com writes:

> Jim,
> That 302 definitely fits into nostalgia.
> When I was in high school, (1956-1960 - and if
> that ain't nostalgia, I don't know what is) the
> flathead was king.  I had a '46 Chev business
> coupe that was lowered, nosed, decked, frenched
> headlights, teardrop tail lights, skirts, moon
> disks, etc.  I blew the motor, and when I went to
> get another one, the guy at the junk yard (who
> knew me and my car) told me he had a 302 jimmy in
> a schoolbus, and that if I mounted the radiator
> in front of the core support instead of in back
> of it, the jimmy would slip right in.  I think I
> also had to put the motor mounts backwards or
> something like that.  He then told me he would
> throw in a split dual exhaust system and a Sharp
> intake with dual carbs.  I stuck it in the old
> chev and flatheads may have been king, but the
> GMC was sure a lot faster.  The only local "hot
> rod" that could outrun me was a guy with a 54
> Dodge running a 271 Desoto hemi. Even a kid with
> a new '59 Biscayne with 348 and four speed
> couldn't nudge me out. We already have a guy on
> this list racing a "garbage truck" motor, I think
> we need somebody with a "dump truck" motor.  If
> it was me, I'd go for it.  BTW, I have a picture
> somwhere of a 302 GMC with a 472 blower mounted
> on it.  Really cool.  If I can find it, I'll
> email it to you.
>
> Dick J

Dick,
       Great story. We need more like this on the list.
       When I built my first racing Flatty in 1953 strokers were practically
unheard of on the street. The Flatty was in its last year of production and
49-53 Merc cranks were so new that few were in the hands of hot rodders.
       Somehow I ended up with one for my 3 3/8" X 4" Flatty in my 34
3-window Ford coupe. A local guy had a 270 or 302 Jimmy in an identical 34
Ford 3-window. How he ever crammed it in there and still used the stock hood
and radiator/grille in the original location I'll never know. His had a
couple of extra carbs and maybe a cam, but was basically semi-stock. One dark
night we had "at-it" on a local back street. When we ran from a dead-stop I
went up in smoke (unlocked rear end) and he got me by a couple of lengths in
3 blocks. When we went from a rolling start I beat him by about the same
amount. Great memories...........Ardun Doug King