Re: Salt and reference notes

To: Glen Barrett <speedtimer@charter.net>, wspotter
Subject: Re: Salt and reference notes
From: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 09:45:03 -0700 (PDT)
--- Glen Barrett <speedtimer@charter.net> wrote:
> Maybe all of the notes should be put into a
> book of
> instructions from preparing to go to the salt
> to the how to
> clean up afterwards. Lessons learned the hard
> way are best
> remembered. Reminding everyone is necessary.
> Glen

Glen,
I've been doing just that with pertinent messages
that appear on this list.  I started with a 3/4"
notebook, then went to a 1", now I'm using two
2 1/2" binders.  I've put section separators in,
and refer to it often. I have sections on roll
cages, chassis design, hemis, SBC, rules,
classes, Maxton, Muroc, El Mirage, Bonneville,
brakes, transissions and gears, tires, motels,
the best routes to take to the tracks, salt
buildup, fuels, carburetors, nitrous, checklists,
etc.  It is absolutely amazing the amount of
incredibly useful knowledge that has come out of
this list.  It is the virtual "tree of knowledge"
for anybody who is into, or wants to get into,
Land Speed Racing. I'd publish the thing if I
could, but I'd have to get about three hundred
copyright waivers, and even then, I'd probably
miss somebody.  I would strongly suggest anybody
who has not been doing the salt for forty years
or more put a book like this together.

Dick J
In East Texas
http://phone.yahoo.com