Re: acceleration on the salt

To: Scott Cowle <scowle@mentorcollege.edu>
Subject: Re: acceleration on the salt
From: Joe Amo <jkamo@rapidnet.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 12:01:47 -0600
Scott, a very general series of questions,
with very simple answers, and not so simple
execution!!
IDEALLY:
"how long at WOT?"...100% of the time of course
"want car at full speed by 2nd mile"...of course
"how long at that speed"....one mile of course
Scott, you "really want an accurate idea"
and that my friend is not so simple,
that is what makes Bonneville SOOO
challenging.
You may be able to get pretty close with answers
in the quarter mile on pavement.
Scott, this is a function of weight, hp, aero, and
coefficient of friction, the first three are a given
variable for each application, BUT the friction thing
(traction) is a variable-variable.
Everyone would love to be at full speed by the first timed
mile, and only have to maintain that full speed for only one
mile, but in many cases this is not possible, do to the physics
at hand.

Best advice I could give is to PLAN to be at WOT for 5 miles,
and for more than "a couple runs".

IF its a 175 mph rig, then wot for 3 miles.

Joe (peanut gallery extraordinare)