Re: acceleration on the salt

To: "Scott Cowle" <scowle@mentorcollege.edu>, <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: acceleration on the salt
From: "glen barrett" <speedtimer@charter.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2001 15:54:58 -0700
Scott
First you have to qualify at 175 mph through the 2 1/4  mile on the short
course. The primary thing is you have to drive the course which means you
may never be a full throttle for the whole distance. Every car, every driver
must understand the conditions of the course. They change for hour to hour
throughout the day.

Traction is a big factor in the resulting speeds. If the course is hard and
dry as this last speed week you have a good chance of reaching the speeds
you are looking for.

If the course is damp or wet the throttle foot gets a lot more of a work out
and maybe only partial throttle during the run. There have been a lot of
people (1st timers ) that were going to show us how to do it. Most of these
usually end up looking at the starting line or getting a 360 degree view of
the salt flats.

Scott, it boils down to seat time, luck and good preparation. Listen to the
people that have been going there for years and ask lots of questions.

I know this is not the answer you wanted but it's difficult to tell anyone
how long to stay on the gas and at what point, this comes only with
experience.
Glen