Re: Laurinburg 16... the REAL story

To: "glen barrett" <speedtimer@charter.net>, "DrMayf"
Subject: Re: Laurinburg 16... the REAL story
From: "john backus" <34ford@msn.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2001 23:37:46 -0400
Okay, I'll tell all........ I was going to anyway when I had time from workin'
and fixin' the street rod fuel problem/s. First I just have to thank all the
Maxton folks , John Beckett, Joe Timney, especially Lionel Williams and Keith
Turk. Also all the folk who cook, clean up the track arrange for services and
do all the paperwork. We came back with an upgraded license to "C", a record
and a smile on this old face that nothing can wipe off!!!!  These folks know
how to show you a good time in town after the races too. It all started for me
with Lionel telling me his plans to eat at a BBQ place next to their motel.
Seems everyone else decided this was a good idea so 7:30 was decided on to
meet and eat there. Bobbie (lovely wife) and I arrived first and arranged for
a large table for 20 or more. Folks started arriving, the folks from G.B, Grib
and Missus Grib, Keith, Brad, even the motorcycle racers.
The waitress said it won't take long for our food 'cause it's all fixed in
back already and just needs to be "plated and brung out" (this is the South
you know). We believed her because over half the menu was crossed out and you
had little choice of food. Everyone ordered from the half of the menu that
they had stuff for. Sure 'nuff food started coming out via busboy types and
several waitresses, they would ask who ordered pork and fries, no one answered
because no one ordered pork and fries and there was much confusion until the
waitress happened to mention that most of the half of the menu that they were
supposed to have, they didn't. It almost started to make sense then, we were
to take what they brought or or not get fed there that night. They never did
bring out what 4 people ordered- 1 LB of pork with a side of whatever. This
didn't set well with most people, especially the 4 with no food. Finally, the
cooks came out after the waitress failed to make anything happen and the final
4 got something to eat. About that time, a tall skinny cop came in and said he
needed to talk to Brad (he was closest to the door) and to come outside, Keith
quickly followed with me coming out a few minutes later. The cops said they
got a call that a rowdy bunch was throwing food at the waitresses and refusing
to pay. First off there was little food to throw and we easterners don't throw
food we're too civilized. It all ended with several of the Laurenburg 16
outside arguing with the manager and trying to reason with the police I used
my "I'm a retired cop and know what you deal with" routine but it had little
effect- the cops told the manager to ask us to leave, which
he did and the cops gave us 5 minutes or we would go to the pokey. I left,
don't have to be told twice. The owner of the property and the motel said next
week the really rowdy NASCAR bunch will be there and he would buy them some
beer before sending them over there. Don't worry about not eating there it
will be a chili parlor in about a month or so.

John & Bobbie #15 and 16

ps Lionel never did show up- he said someone told him a bunch of drunks were
starting a fight or something....... not really, someone told him they were
out of food.