Re: varity of classes

To: "James Tone" <gmc6power@earthlink.net>,
Subject: Re: varity of classes
From: "glen barrett" <speedtimer@charter.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 14:40:00 -0700
List
Jim is just telling it like it is. The real world can be a mess when someone
is filling out the paper work. Believe me it's a nightmare when we can't
read it. I would say almost everyone leaves something off.

Example. Last year there was an incident at speedweek and when I was filling
out the paper work required for the Insurance company, every form the person
filled out regarding his vehicle had no state listed or zip code listed.

I would think it would be automatic when filling something out that you
don't stop at 2468 Easy St.. You put the state and zip down.  Some don't
have the area code for the phone number or a person to contact.

This slows down the process for all parties concerned.

So when picking on the volunteers think about what they are going through
with close to 400 entries and class changes as well as the record
certification.

Every year we have a drivers and crew meeting at the starting line and all
morning long we announce the time and to bring the crew members so they know
what's going on.

It's important they know where to go and what to do. This is critical for
the first timers. As is the CB radio.
Think about what we must do when something is wrong, be it paper work or
researching information after we get back. It doesn't end when the event is
over. Like JD says if you put it on the entry form  that's what's going on
the trophy,record cert. and dash plaques.

We volunteer because we like the sport and what it stands for. We don't just
say screw it we don't want those cars allowed regardless where they come
from.

Like it has been said we have 400+ car classes and over 1800 motorcycle
classes. Our staff of volunteers has gone to great depths to put together
the rules for the nostalgia classes for next season. This has taken two
years to put it together for the board to agree on and try for one season.

Adding a category for Nascar or whatever doesn't happen over night. If we
feel there is a good chance of developing the class the contest committee
will be looking for the people that seem to know the most about the class of
vehicle and take their input to the rules committee to determine if in fact
there is a place for the new class.

Glen