Re: Oct./El Mirage

To: "Rose & Terry Hunt" <hunt@Kuentos.guam.net>,
Subject: Re: Oct./El Mirage
From: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2001 05:09:15 -0500
This is my story about traction, speed, ballast, spoiler,spool, and stagger.

We have almost always been capable of spinning the tires at about any speed
on the salt.... at Maxton we have spun the tires running 180mph and Muroc
was a skating ring posing as a race course... up to 196mph...

So I can honestly say I have lost traction bout everyway you can lose it...
Obviously we had the same kinda handling problems at Bonneville this
year.... BUT I have never until this year had the car do anything but go
straight as an arrow while it was spinning the tires.... and I run a spool.
We are fixing to hear from the world about how a Spool isn't the way to
go....  BUT  I have to work within the limits of my experience... and until
this year where I had a Major Stagger problem with the tires... and a
preload in the rear end due to Springs being different sizes...  My car has
always gone straight ....

To fix my Problem at Muroc we installed 100lbs of ballast in the rear of the
car.... added a ton of spoiler and Low and behold... the car hooked up and
hauled butt.....  went from a 196 to the 205mph....

Some folks are going to say to run an open rear end... as it's basically a
spool once your up to speed anyway.... others are going to say to run some
kinda posi unit.... Still others are going to lament the benifets of the
locker.... Hell I don't know.... I only know what has worked in the past for
me....

Keith