Oct./El Mirage

To: "land-speed@autox.team.ne" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Oct./El Mirage
From: "Rose & Terry Hunt" <hunt@Kuentos.guam.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2001 20:07:29 +1000
Hello list, Rose and I just returned from the mainland last night. Seven hours
later we experienced a 7.0 earthquake. No damage at home but the power's still
out a day later. We get a lot of these,. More than in Calif. We enjoyed the
Gas Up and El Mirage. It was the first time I had made other than a licensing
run. It's MUCH harder going fast on dirt. I broke traction in all gears. In
3rd the car got to cycling right and left. Finally I decided to pedal before I
spun the car. I gathered it up and went a disappointing 170 mph. I've decided
that more ballast, increased spoiler angle, and a higher gear (3.40 vs. 3.70)
are things I'll try next time. I've always run a spool in the Franklin QC.
Also, I intend to change my throttle pedal ratio and position to make it more
comfortable. I need to have better control over the new F/I motor. It makes
very good power and the throttle response is WAY quicker than last years
carbureted set up. Your input on this handling problem would be appreciated.
Terry Hunt, Guam Bomb, #743