RE: Motorcycle Safety, and Speed

To: Dale.Clay@mdhelicopters.com (Clay, Dale), land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Motorcycle Safety, and Speed
From: ardunbill@webtv.net
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 16:46:42 -0400 (EDT)
Hi Dale, those are good points.  I myself choose to wear a helmet at all
times since it is a fact that a very slight impact can scramble the
human brain.  But I understand the point of personal freedom to decide.
As Jack C. often says, "Let Freedom Ring".  Virginia is a helmet state
in any event, as is NC.

I perhaps should have clarified that the Hayabusa is the Vincent Black
Shadow of today in the sense of being the performance king, as the
Shadow was in its day.  But to back up a little, the Shadow was
earthshaking in its era because the entire design was so original,
unlike anything on the market, and aircraft quality throughout.  The
'Busa, on the other hand, is currently to me the top of the sportbike
heap, the culmination of years of effort in design and development by
the Japanese companies.  Excellent in every way, the only criticism I
can come up with is the heavy weight of the bike.  If it could have ALL
its charms and virtues, AND weigh 300 pounds, now THAT would be heaven.
As it is, if all that mass and weight gets outa shape at high speed, the
rider will be dern lucky if he can get it back under control and avoid a
hard prang.

Thinking about the very high market prices of good Vincents today, will
the 'Busa be in that position 50 years down the road?  No, probably not.
So there is a difference.  The Vincent was sort of a small miracle that
happened once upon a time in the far-off village of Stevenage, in
England; the 'Busa is an extremely refined, extremely powerful, Japanese
sportbike of today.  Cheers Bill