Re: Gear selection challange

To: "John Beckett" <landspeedracer@email.msn.com>
Subject: Re: Gear selection challange
From: "Rick Byrnes" <Rick@rbmotorsports.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 13:32:13 -0500
I have just been pondering Johns note of last June, about tire sizes, an it
prompts a question relative to traction (on the salt of course) utilizing
different diameter tires (all else being equal)
Example
26" 300 MPH GY tire with 4.5" tread width
28" 300 MPH GY tire with 4.5" tread width
Those of you that have run different sizes, see any difference in traction
with a smaller loaded radius?  My questions are related to lakesters, and
liners, but we have all run different size tires.  My problem is with the
Merkur, when I changed sizes, I usually changed design as well.  ZR R1's vs
28" front runner.  I'm not sure I saw a difference.  I had to peddle it with
both sets of tires.
Since we have thrashed about on axles, suspension, etc.  lets now talk about
tires.  I only want to buy one set for next year and the size can be
important relative to ride height.  With the quick change rear end I can of
course accomodate any N/V that I choose.

Thanks for your comments

Rick Byrnes