Ford Flathead Aero Engine

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Ford Flathead Aero Engine
From: ardunbill@webtv.net
Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2001 10:18:28 -0500 (EST)
Hi folks, I see "de mime" deleted my cartoon attachment on the last
message, sorry about that, kindly disregard.

Wanted to tell the Flathead Fans following the saga of the aero Flathead
that a new book, "The Aviation Legacy of Henry and Edsel Ford" makes the
briefest reference to an aluminum block Ford Flathead V-8 Aero engine
(p. 139/140).  It seems that in the 1934-36 period Ford was
experimenting with converting the V-8 for aero use and among their many
aviation ventures was the Flying Wing 15P, which was visualized as an
inexpensive two-seater for Everyman.  The prototype of this little plane
was built with a "souped up 115 hp Ford V8 engine with a cast aluminum
block mounted behind the occupants with the drive shaft passing between
them to a large 6 1/2 foot Gardner wooden propellor."  The concept was
that if this got into volume production  (never did, too hard to fly)
local Ford car dealers would stock parts for the engine so the owner
could service it himself.  A close-up photo of the engine appears in the
text, and it shows one carb with an aircleaner and an ordinary-looking
period Flathead.

So here's a little tidbit about the Ford aluminum Flathead V8 I
previously mentioned from the 1935 aircraft engineering textbook's
appendix mentioning the 92 hp, 419 lb Ford aero engine.  Cheers Bill