Re: frontal area/drag coefficient

To: RTMACK@concentric.net
Subject: Re: frontal area/drag coefficient
From: john robinson <john@engr.wisc.edu>
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2001 14:08:10 -0600
At 01:44 PM 11/6/01, you wrote:
>list:
>I think that program may have a glitch in the "rolling resistance"
>module.  Try
>varying onlt tire-pressure inputs and see if the results make any
>sense.  (Like,
>from 70 to 90psi).
>Russ mack
oh yeah, I put in 90 psi and it went thru the roof, 1195 hp required for
rolling hp!!!!

>john robinson wrote:
>
> > At 12:24 PM 11/6/01, you wrote:
> > >The EZ-Hook two wheeled streamliner
> > >is   AERODYNAMICS
> > >FRONTAL AREA, 3.62 SQ. FT., DRAG COEFFICIENT .1007,
> > >so frontal area isnt everything, problem is we dont have wind
> > >tunnels to get the drag number down, this is half the frontal
> > >area of Goldenrod, and EZ hook was developed in
> > >the wind tunnel of Cal Tech!!
> > >Joe
> > Howdy, running those numbers through the program at
> > http://www.bgsoflex.com/auto.html
> > comes up with the following : ( do they match any known HP numbers for the
> > liner?)
> >
> > Air Density Computed is 0.00228 (my assumption for this number is 29.4
> inches)
> >
> > Aerodynamic "Drag Factor" is 0.00090
> >
> > Rolling "Drag Factor" is 286.76639
> >
> >    Computed Aerodynamic Horsepower Required is 80
> >    Computed Rolling Horsepower Required is 246
> >    Computed Frontal Lift Force is 73 Lbs.

              John Robinson, Mechanician
   Mechanical Engineering University of Wisconsin
                 1513 University Ave.
                  Madison, Wi. 53706
                     608-262-3606
                   FAX 608-265-2316
        Current World Land Speed Record Holder
                 Bonneville Salt Flats
            H/GCC 92 cu.in. 1980 Dodge Colt
                   131.333 MPH set 1995
                   136.666 MPH set 1996
                   140.292 MPH set 2000
                   144.396 MPH set 2000
     MPS-PG 441 c.c. 1967 BSA Victor Motorcycle
                    95.193 MPH set 2001