Cam Shaft tool

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Cam Shaft tool
From: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2001 11:18:20 -0600
Dave Dahlgren and I were chatting last week about degree'ing a camshaft and
he mentioned this really cool tool from Moroso.... you can check it out at
here  http://www.moroso.com/catalog/categorydisplay.asp?catcode=27017

Essentially what it does is allow you to mount Two Dial indicators on the
Block and similtaniously check both the intake and exhaust lobe on any
cylinder.

I thought the idea was great and decided to make my own... Using a
2 1/2" scrap of 3/8th's inch bar stock that was about 6" long...I used a
head gasket to mark the three bolts that attach it to the block and then
drilled three more 1/4" holes and tapped them.  One of them was right in the
center over the piston giving me a great stop to set TDC and the other two I
used to secure the mounts made to hold the Dial indicators.

I had to make my dial indicator mounts adjustable as Centering it over the
lifter exactly is important.    The holder itself is nothing more then a 2
1/2" scrape of 1" strap 1/8" thick.  I drilled a 1/2" hole in one end where
I welded in a piece of 1/2" tubing I got at Lowes... then I sliced the
tubing length wise with a hack saw and the inside diameter fit the mounting
boss on the indicator perfectly.... ( actually I had to sanding roll it a
bit and it's a rather snug but ... it stays put.

the second Dial indicator I mounted on a piece of tubing that was about 3"
higher then the first so the Gages can be read from the front one sitting
taller then the other.  I had bought a couple of cheapy Dial indicators and
an end set and just took some brake line to make the extensions I needed to
get down to the lifter itself....

right now I have to hold the lifter down as I move it but the plan is to buy
a set of Valve checker springs from Moroso on Monday that will fit under the
stand and on top of the lifter keeping everything tight....

Hey it's a holiday weekend and I got no Hard parts to start on the car yet
so why not?   Fun stuff and semi innovative....

Keith ( keep in mind if your pistons come outta the block like mine do you
have to use washers under this to keep it from being a device to find
TDC )( don't ask!!! )