Re: Cam Shaft tool

To: <ardunbill@webtv.net>, "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>,
Subject: Re: Cam Shaft tool
From: "rgribble" <rgribble@carolina.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2001 22:03:19 -0800
Bill,
That's very true and the really high tech engine builders use a distributor
that has individual timing for each cylinder. One I know of (and have in
stock) is made by Crane, http://www.cranecams.com/ignition/otdist.htm, plus
it's optically triggered. Crane isn't ashamed of it as they ask over $1,100.
new. They tell me you can really only tune this distributor on a dyno, but I
don't know.
Grib

Ardun Bill wrote;
The fun about it all is that you are bound to find slightly different
timings on each cylinder, which can't be overcome except by varying the
tappet clearances, which may NOT be wise for obvious reasons.  And
what's more, there is unknown flexing and bending of parts under running
conditions, which changes the timing events to a degree even barring
outright valve float (which itself is not unusual, even if not evident).
And finally, among other things, heat expansion of aluminum heads and/or
blocks changes all of the above in unknown ways.  And I haven't even
mentioned backlash in chain or gear cam drives.