Re: oil temperature.

To: "Rick Hammond" <r.hammond@sympatico.ca>,
Subject: Re: oil temperature.
From: "rgribble" <rgribble@carolina.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2001 13:20:32 -0800
Rick,
With both water and oil, I'd want the average temp unless there's a specific
place on the engine that needs monitoring. I read the water temp as it
enters the radiator.  Same with the oil, I'd want the oil as it exits the
engine, in my case en-route to the drysump tank but it could be en-route to
the remote oil filter. In any case sensors should be mounted as to monitor
the fluid and not the base metal that the sensor's mounted in.
It's easy to hook up a sensor on the head(s) but the heads run quite a bit
hotter than the rest of the engine. Heads heat up quickly when compared to
the rest of the engine. Plus a sensor mounted in the head would pick up heat
from the (metal) head itself which would be hotter than the water (average)
going through it. If you wanted the head temperature in addition to the
water, you certainly could do it. NASCAR cars don't, but I suppose Indy and
CART cars might given the electronics they run.
Grib
"Do what others Won't and you'll do what others Can't for the rest of your
life"