Re: hose

To: "rgribble" <rgribble@carolina.rr.com>, "Richard Fox" <v4gr@rcn.com>,
Subject: Re: hose
From: "Rick Byrnes" <Rick@rbmotorsports.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2001 14:22:46 -0500
I can add a little as well.
I have one of the shears that Grib mentions and it is a large wire cutter.
It works extremely well.  Sold as a braided hose cutter it is a little
pricey, but well worth the investment if you are a lifer like me.  It
shortens the time for plumbing considerably.   It works on teflon lined hose
as well as elastomer lined braided hose.
Mine came from Lane Automotive/Motorstate Distributing, my parts supplier
that I should have mentioned in the thread about Speedway.  They supply most
of the parts we might require and pricing is excellent.  I have an account
with them and typically the part I order is here the next day.  Course it
helps they are the other side of Michigan from me.....Outstanding service
though.  I will highly recommend.  1 800 772 2678.  The sales guy that I
always speak to is Brent Abrams, but their entire staff is pretty competent.

On the subject of hoses, my preference is to not use teflon lined hose
except for very high pressure requirements like brakes, but normal braided
stainless rubber hose is more than adequate for all of my applications.  On
my new car I am using lots of hose, but as KT had indicated, lots of hard
line should be used as well.  My brakes, intercooler, air jacks, and clutch
will be almost all hard line.  It is more time consuming, but eliminates two
failure modes at each junction.  I do continue to use 37 degree AN fittings,
in fact some in stainless, but not rubber hose.

Assembling hose fittings, I have always used an antisieze on the aluminum
threads, and oil on the hose for ease of assembly, but just this year, I
tried Aeroquips assembly lube, and found it takes less torque to tighten
a -12 hose fitting together.  I will continue to use the antisieze though.
Something I learned as a technician while working on turbine engines, and it
just carries thru.
My experience is that Aeroquip swivel fittings function better than others
and I have tried most.  Come to think of it, I have the least problems with
Aeroquip fittings wherever I use them.

Rick
Just back from a visit with son Jim and his family in Colorado Springs.