all things mechanical... and Romance

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: all things mechanical... and Romance
From: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 16:52:26 -0600
In the world of Flying ... I think it's pretty natural to actually have an
emotional attachment to something.... in my case it's the Cobra.... and
yeah it whined... and Yes I flew Recip's...( if you can call that Huges 300
a Helicopter ) But the G model Cobra....( the first of the models ) was
something that fit me like a worn out sweater..  It never tried to hurt
me.. ( well almost never ... I did get a broken wing award in it...when
collective pitch jammed ).  most importantly somehow it managed to have
grace while it's million parts were flying loose formation.

The technology of the Apache was awe inspiring.... but lacked the
requirement for me to be a Real Pilot...  you know... where you wiggle
sticks and things happen without the aid of Extremely sophisticated
stability augmentation systems.... Sure the Cobra had some of that... but
the computers had Huge cards... and it wasn't fancy.... to hit a target you
MADE it happen rather then just showing up.... the stuff they are using
these day's truly can be flown by about anybody... cept maybe Ed... or
Glen..... the thing could loop and roll....  I just couldn't wear it...like
the Cobra...which after a while I put on like a second skin....

I'd like to think some of you have race cars that you have been driving
long enough to have the same warm fuzzy feeling's about.... ( based on the
Rust I'm betting they are circle track cars....) be interesting to hear
about them....

Keith Turk