Re: Bonneville FIA

To: "Malcolm Pittwood" <MPittwood@compuserve.com>,
Subject: Re: Bonneville FIA
From: "glen barrett" <speedtimer@charter.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 15:59:14 -0800
Malcolm
Hey old buddy. I realize they have other duties as their position as
observers. However the 60 minute count down between runs was kept by us in
the timing trailer and we relayed the remaining time to them via radio. I
also realize they were at the impound area during the measurement of the
engines etc.

In discussions earlier this year I believe I made the statement that SCTA
tried through ACCUS, SCCA & NHRA as well as USAC to be certified as the land
speed stewards in the USA. We were turned down. At that time SCTA started
the Land Speed  Authority (LSA). The idea was good but the timing of it was
not and there were a few internal disagreements as to the operation.

Landspeed racing went into a slump for a few years and the rights to the LSA
were sold or given to Jack Dolan. Since that time nothing has happen with
it. I still feel very strong that our associations have more knowledge and
expertise in this area than anyone in the world.

We basically have the same classifications as the FIA in order to comply.To
develop a bunch of new classes could be difficult even with special meets
held on the salt flats. Having say, 20 vehicles make runs and turn around
and return in 60 minutes could be a big problem if say the 9th vehicle
crashes on the return run and stops anyone else from making their return
run.

At the world finals the Vesco's, White and Trues were the only ones running.
It got down to 45 seconds on the return of Nolan White and the run was
aborted due to mechanical problems.

The more vehicles the bigger the problem. We will continue to hold the FIA
attempts at the world finals but with the large turn outs at speedweek I
don't see where under the present rules of the FIA we can make these
attempts at this event.

What it comes down to if  4 vehicles are running under the 60 minute turn
around it becomes something over two hours from the 1st run down to the last
vehicle back. In the meantime there are 300 others waiting in the pits for
there regular BNI record attempts.

I wish I had all of the answers but I along with all others don't have them.
We will still do our best to give everyone that wants FIA & FIM the chance
to do it at the world finals. I don't think anyone has a greater love of
land speed racing than I do. It has and will continue to be a big part of my
life.

Maybe some day the FIA will include us in the World land speed list of
approved stewards.

Glen