Re: Rod & Introduction

To: "pork.pie" <pork.pie@t-online.de>, <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Rod & Introduction
From: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 05:37:12 -0600
Hey Welcome to the List Tomas " pork pie? ".... this could be a new
Buckwheat name in the making....  I had a buddy named T-bone....  we called
him Meatloaf....

Sounds like your truly infected with the speed thing....   Having driven
the autobahn as a test bed for my first LSR car... I understand you have no
real  speed limits there..... ( don't ya know I would have to have a
Production car over there.... the test sight is an on ramp away )

In case your curious my best time from Wiesbaden to Fulda was 56
minutes.... ( 105 miles ) with two traffic circles and 30k's of 100kph road
( 61mph)  This in a 78 El Camino .... 300hp crate motor and the 4 speed we
run in the Camaro...2:41 rear end...and slammed with a nice suspension
package as well as Brakes and ground effects.... what a gas to drive
fast.... brought it home and SOLD it.... just no fun to drive in the
states.... it liked to be wide open... I did snatch the motor and the trans
before it went away...

Anyway... the archives for the list are located at www.listquest.com under
hobbies/auto/racing/landspeed .... all our previous e-mails can be searched
by subject and author.

As I said yesterday.... this list is a cool place to hang out and you won't
even end up in an asylum....( well maybe not )..... we try and have a semi
wholesome family atmosphere.... and if your into LSR and a subject
interests you.... feel free to bring it up... we're not fancy... grammar
and spelling are optional.... no one here will poo poo you for not getting
it exactly right... we all really do understand ... ( which means we were
reading the same magazines in English class as you )  if something is
negative please take it up with the individual.... your welcome to
disagree.... it's part of what makes this neat... we all have Very
different opinions bout things....remember it's about fun and education....

Keith Turk ( http://downtown.ala.net/~kturk )
----------
> From: pork.pie <pork.pie@t-online.de>
> To: land-speed@autox.team.net
> Subject: Rod & Introduction
> Date: Tuesday, November 27, 2001 4:11 PM
>
> Sorry, Joe,
>
> I done no introduction, also I didn't know how interest starts this kind
of
> communication, I think I really miss a lot of fun, due to this that I was
not
> involved before.
>
> At first I have to apologize about my bad English, I'm a German I and
will try
> so good as possible, to find the right words (and sometimes - the right
> grammar).
>
> Joe, you request the "rod".
>
> If I understood you correct, than you mean the rod from Jim & Mary True,
which
> Mary blew so wonderful (sorry, Mary - this was your first blown engine -
but
> you done it the RIGHT way, wow).
>
> Both ends of the piece, which was broken out of the rod, shows special
marks
> which tells what's happened.
>
> One side shows the beginning of the trouble. Along the outside contour of
the
> rod "profile" there was possible to see a dark (black) thin line, much
darker
> than the gray of the material. In this area was the molekular structure
changed.

> What's happened. it's start with a very hair thin crack on the outside
which can
> end, so as on this rod, that the crack is complete around the shaft of
the rod.
> In this crack (may be you call it also a flaw), the carbo sinters out of
the
> material, means split out of the normal molekular structure. More and
more carbo
> moves to this crack and makes this area brittle.
> At last the cross section of the rod is not anymore strong enough to work
the
> power from the piston movement out.
> A normal rod will need a long time, to come to this point.
> The cross section of a "hot" rod is very close to the critical cross
section -
> as lighter as better.
> In the moment, when the pressure force from the engine is higher than the

> strength of the cross section, the shaft collapse in a fraction of a
second.

> This collapse is shown as a sharp, not symmetrical, flash. This flash
shows,
> different to the other material surface, a nearly polished (glossy)
surface.
> This comes from the stretching of the material in the moment of the
collapse,
> when the rod brokes and was bend (turned) sideways, from the still moving

> rod/piston.
>
> Normally, so as here, the other end of the rod shows a little bit rough
surface,
> but without special marks, so as a simple broken piece of iron.
> But what you can see, is, that the shaft of the rod is not anymore in the

> straight contour as it was original. On one side is the rod bend (twist),

> depense how the rod turns sideways, after he brokes. There where the rod
is
> bend, is the inside of the turning (rotation) point.
>
> Short form:
>
> A outside damage creates a crack (can be a material failure or a handling

> damage), the crack grows and in the crack produced the carbo a brittle
material.
> Once, when the cross section is not anymore strong enough, it collapsed,
turns
> on the most weakest point, the shaft sideways. If there is enough power,
this
> part will be ripped off and will goes the easiest way - by Mary it was
straight
> out of the block. If it not happens during full throttle, the shaft will
break
> and  one side of them will be bend.
>
> If you have bad luck, so by Mary, the piston stucks in the highest
position, so
> that the valves crash into the piston, which blocks the other valves
moving.
> After some revolutions, the other pistons and valves will be also
destroyed.

> To prevent you from so damages, x-ray the rods for so cracks and hair
thin cuts
> on the outside. If there is one, and he is not to deep, you can polish
them, so
> that he is gone. It will not effect the strength of the rod. Otherwise
you risk
> once killed engine.
>
> The rod which I saw by Mary & Jim, was a older damage. It needs a while
to get a
> so deep carbo mark.
>
> It's not so easy to explain something, without having the parts in the
hand to
> show it to someone - see here and see here and there, yeah, you can see
it....

> The other you ask, was a introduction - oh, man, I will try it in a short
way.

> I went into speed in 1970 - starting, when I read a nice article about
Gary
> Gabelich and the Blue Flame.
> Due to this, that in Germany, speed racing is not anymore popular - it
was
> before and during the Third Reich, but this historie was destroyed with
all the
> bad stuff from this time. After the war the people was to blind to see
the
> different between the speed racing and a nazi, very sad.
> For a short time there was some activities, pushed by Wilhelm Herz in
1956 and
> 1965. But since this there was only a small group of people (around 10)
in
> Germany who shows interest in this sport.
> Two of them really serious - this was Ferdinand Kaesmann, he is now 73,
and
> myself. Ferdinand wrote some great books.
> I start in the mid 70's, at first in Europe on a push bike, to travel
around to
> see all the racers and to meet the people, who drove or build this cars.
> Later, beginning of the 80's I travelled around the world, to see this
one,
> which was outside of Europe.
> >From the beginning, I start to collect any kind of information about
speed, so I
> got today one of the biggest collection in Germany. But this collection
is still
> very small to this one from Ugo Fadini, the famous model maker from
Italy, who
> is a good friend of mine.
> I was a little bit active in the Thrust II attempts (Richard Noble, later
than
> also in the Thrust SSC. In the moment I be active with my great friends
Terry
> Moreau and Don McBride, to be a tough competitor from Jim & Mary True
(Jack
> Costella's 988). The True's done very well this year.
>
> If I have some time left over, I give Craig Breedlove a support to bring
the
> record back to the states.
>
> I got the luck to meet all the big Speed Kings, not only the still
active,
> also Art Arfons, Tom Green (Wingfoot Express - yeap, he is still alive),
the
> late Gary Gabelich.
>
> Some more to my person.
> I'm a engineer in automotive design, specialiced in frame and body
design, with
> some experience in aerodynamic (trained). Also I'm trained in graphic
arts and
> done a apprenticeship in coachbuilding.
> For a while I worked as a photographer in Australia and done pictures of
the
> American Football (NFL) in the states for a European magazine.
> In the 80's a raced for five years in a series which used cars, similar
> NASCAR - with 120 and 180 ci. I done it the olympic way, what means that
I never
> won a race. But it was a great time. I had to quite when my sponsors was
running
> out of money.
> During all this years I was also sometimes on the salt (most for a day)
so as my