RE: Rosemeyer

To: "'pork.pie@t-online.de'" <pork.pie@t-online.de>, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Rosemeyer
From: "Albaugh, Neil" <albaugh_neil@ti.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 10:27:51 -0600
Thomas;

Vielen Danke for that explanation of Rosemeyer's (sorry about misspelling
his name) crash. I'd only heard the orthodox "wind gust" explanation but it
always seemed to be not quite right somehow. Your research has turned up
something that is certainly a more plausable explanation (to me) and this
seems to be a very important piece of detective work. Congratulations for
shedding more light on an historic tragedy that really shouldn't have
happened.

Aerodynamic effects as applied to land vehicles was largely an unknown
science back in 1938. Drag coefficient was addressed, of course, but lift
and downforce effects were not understood until when-- the sixties? Jim Hall
did alot of pioneer work in this area. BTW, were the Auto- Union body panels
aluminum or magnesium?

Thank you for a most interesting and educational reply. Perhaps the history
of German LSR attempts should be rewritten.

Regards,  Neil  Tucson, AZ