FIA / FIM - more explanations

To: LSR List <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: FIA / FIM - more explanations
From: Malcolm Pittwood <MPittwood@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 15:58:27 -0500
Louise has described the process of record ratification and the licencing
for drivers for speed records to be FIA recognised.

Whilst we have a number of 'independent' forms of motor sport in the UK,
the overall control is with just one orgasnisation - the Motor Sports
Association (MSA) - who have been affiliated to the FIA since the early
1900's.  So I have a drivers licence that carries an FIA logo as well as
that of my National Governing body.  I benefit from insurance cover when
taking part in approved events (except Record Attempts, when extra
insurance cover is needed and has to be paid for !) through being a licence
holder and my safety at events is helped by the MSA standards for track
marshalling and safety vehicles and doctors/paramedics etc. that the event
organisers provide.

The MSA organises many forms of International Motor Sport - Sports Cars,
Historic cars, Drag Racing, Rallying, Truck Racing...... and so on, all
approved by the FIA (including one F1 Grand Prix), so the UK licence
holders taking part in all these events pay dues - some proportion of which
goes on to the FIA to pay for their organisation & committees.  It's the
way it is here and has become accepted practice, hence we run record
attempts the FIA way.

America has been able to be more 'liberal' in organising different forms of
motor sport with many controlling bodies - diversity which I watch with
interest from this side of the pond.  In US land speed racing, clubs and
organisations have evolved to meet racers needs and have not needed the
affiliation to a 'big' organisation such as ACCUS and therefore the FIA.
The only time that you would NEED such affiliation is perhaps if the many
LSR classes of racing are ever recognised worldwide by the FIA.   I leave
this as a description, as only USA racers or their organising groups could
make the decision.

When it comes to ratification of records the FIA Committee on the day will
probably be attending to many more than the six (I guess it was?) world
speed records set at the October World Finals.  I know this list does not
take an interest in endurance records, but the FIA does and will be looking
at about 70 endurance class records requested to be ratified from two teams
- Audi Diesel and VW petrol.  There may be more class records being
discussed, as I do not know all that is taking place in each country that
has a motosport group affiliated to the FIA.  This explains the length of
time, it does NOT excuse it.  And then someone has to get at least 76
certificates written or printed correctly afterwards......

Sometimes I am glad I do not have to run a governing body........

Malcolm Pittwood, Derby, England.