answers & comments

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: answers & comments
From: pork.pie@t-online.de (pork.pie)
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 22:05:52 +0100
Hi Folks,

Tonight I got a lot of requests, so I collect them in one e-mail

The Auto-Union body was aluminium. It based on the streamlined Avus racer from
1937. The different was, that by the AVUS car they cut holes into the
wheelhouses, to check the tires during the pit stops - the tires to this time
was far away to survive a so high speed for a long time.
The different between the 1937 and 1938 Auto-Union record racer, was, that in
1938 they closed the gap between the wheelhouses with a body panel - much
better
aerodynamic (reduction of the drag) but also a higher sensitive against cross
wind!!! In 1937 they used two versions of the record braker - the standing
start
version got a windshield without a closing top, the flying start car got the
closing top. In 1938 the closing top was painted white to prevent the driver
from bad sun reflections. But there was not a complete closing canopy.

All the investigations about the Rosemeyer accident, needs me and my friends
nearly two years - only for that, that at last a IT guy in my office killed my
internal hard drive during my vacation time, with all the datas on. There was
also a complete design for a LSR racer with ground effect on. It needs me a lot
of patience...............

This long straight in Berlin was the Avus - a part of this was used as a race
track. When the famous Silberpfeile from Mercedes and Auto-Union runs there in
1937, they done an average from 160 mph and a peak speed from 230mph.
It was for a long time the fastest race track in the world.

To the Autobahn - Dick, I will print your letter to bring it to the police -
I don't know how long the prescription is - but I think they will still write
you a ticket.....HaHaHaHaHa.
Was a good story and it sounds that you really enjoy the ride.

For this, that so much people ask where I hang around.

I live in Heilbronn, which is around 40 miles north of Stuttgart, direct on the
Autobahn. 5 miles away, in Neckarsulm is the biggest bike museum in the world
and around 20 miles north west of my hometown is Sinsheim, where Gary
Gabelich's
Blue Flame stays. Neckarsulm was the hometown of the famous NSU bikes.

With fastest wishes

Pork Pie