Re: TC5

To: "pork.pie" <pork.pie@t-online.de>
Subject: Re: TC5
From: "Louise Ann Noeth" <lanoeth@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2001 14:55:36 -0800
Jeremy and I also discussed the active suspension and the day Andy had it
turned off -- big mistake, but this sport is experimental by its very nature
and some people tend to forget that.  When new approaches are taken you hope
for more speed and pray the change doesn't kill you.

I know Jerry would love to work on an LSR team, but he isn't a rich guy and
Britain is far across a big pond, so I guess he may only find a spot with
his compatriots who come to challenge us Yanks.

Of course each wheel has to be set-up independently and the tidal wave of
data that has to be processed in mere nanoseconds, or less, is daunting, but
I still maintain that the idea has merit. Perhaps ahead of its time, and
available technology, but a valid theory -- which was the original sympathy
for posting the point in the first place. I submit that fiber optics will
soon find their way onto racing machines and may be the way to address the
TC hurdle.

Just look at the fiber optics in the new Mercedes C230 sports car. The audio
and communication system is outstanding and the electrical system has be
stripped of miles of copper wiring that is "de rigueur" one most cars. I
just finished test driving one for 2 weeks and was mightily impressed with
this entry level car. At 25K it is, in my humble opinion, one of the best
values on the planet and I NEVER thought I would say that about a Mercedes!

I digress:

Money be damned, I am in this for the speed.

Is it right to damn someone because they have a few more bucks than another
and choose to spend it on an LSR car? I think not. The money issue only has
validity if it is used to eliminate competition.

Let me use fishing as a metaphor:

My dad used to think that any fisherman who used a radar device was a big
sissy who didn't understand the whole point of dropping a hook in the first
place. Me? I thought it was silly to go out in the boat to relax and then
bring along something that made you work. In a competition, however, the
device would provide and unfair advantage to those with the resources to buy
one and I can see why it should not be allowed.

Be Vigilant,

"LandSpeed" Louise Ann Noeth

LandSpeed Productions
Telling Stories with Words and Pictures