Re: TC, lakester frame design

To: Allen Young <riveroak@cncnet.com>,
Subject: Re: TC, lakester frame design
From: Joe Timney <joetimney@dol.net>
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2001 07:56:36 -0500
Allen,

May I suggest that you use 1 1/2" tubing for your uprights and fit the
diagonals
to the uprights as close to the main rails as possible. I'd use 1 1/4 or
1 1/8
dia., .090 wall tubing for the diagonals. Using smaller tubing will make
the
joints easier to fit and weld and it will not make the it weaker,
actually it
would help the chassis to bend without shearing off in case of a mishap.
Big is
NOT better!

Is your lakester going to be a rear engine configuration? Buying a set
of
rearengine dragster prints and adapting them to a lakester is reasonable
plan.
This will give you a good idea of spacing of uprights and angles for the
seat,
etc. Dragsters use thinner wall tubing to get the flex needed to plant
the tires
but using mild steel of .125 wall will eliminate that issue.

If you have any questions, just ask.
joe

Allen Young wrote:

> Keith, Dave, John and list:    Isn't the old sayilng in the world of
> management that "if you can't measure it, you can't control it"?  I
would
> guess that it's as true for building a bridge or maybe driving an LSR
car.

> Since I'm new at this and probably will make a fool of myself for even
butting
> in on the topic (but it is so deliciously good that I can't help
myself) On
> the traction control (woops) -- traction advise (TA) device that
measures when
> the rear tires are going faster than the front tires a light  or tone
or
> something "informs" you of that fact (whichl I think is an interesting
idea)
> -- if the rear tires are larger than the front tires, do they ever
rotate at
> the same speed except when the rear tires start to spin and then only
for a
> short period of time when the rears "catch up" with the fronts and
then begin
> to rotate faster?  Would this make any difference or would the TA
device have
> to account for the tire size difference?  Maybe its a nit and of no
> consequence.  Maybe like I said, that I know nothing of what I'm
saying!
> There, I'll go back in my hole again.
>
> Oh, on designing a lakester frame, is there any rule of thumb as to
how far
> apart you place the cross members?  My frame will be about 18 feet
long --
> does the length have any impact on the spacing of the cross members?
Should