RE: lakester design

To: "'Joe Timney'" <joetimney@dol.net>,
Subject: RE: lakester design
From: "Albaugh, Neil" <albaugh_neil@ti.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 11:07:48 -0600
Aircraft Spruce & Specialty and other experimental aircraft builders' supply
houses are a good source of thinwall 4130N tubing, both round and square--
even a few sizes of streamline tubing. These days most CDEW (cold- drawn
electric- welded) tubing is very good quality and it's alot less expensive
than DOM (drawn over mandrel) tubing. Seamless DOM is the best but it's hard
to find and expensive.

There is alot to be said for using 1010/1020 mild steel tubing for building
a chassis. Its strength and stiffness are OK-- it's the tubing size and the
chassis tubing geometry that count most here. In an accident, mild steel
will deform (bend) when it exceeds its elastic limit and this deformation is
what absorbs energy. A chassis of a very rigid, non- yielding material (such
as carbon fiber)doesn't absorb energy and if the driver is not protected by
another energy- absorbing material, he will absorb lots of the energy of the
accident. It''s better for the chassis to get bent up in an accident than
just transfer the violent shock to the driver.

Regards, Neil     Tucson, AZ