RE: Mandrel Bent Aluminum Tubing..

To: "'DrMayf'" <drmayf@teknett.com>, JYTURBO <jyturbo@yahoogroups.com>,
Subject: RE: Mandrel Bent Aluminum Tubing..
From: "Albaugh, Neil" <albaugh_neil@ti.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 18:03:18 -0600
Mayf;

There may be alternatives to mandrel- bending aluminum tubing for your turbo
setup. Lots of aircraft duct is fabricated out of hand- formed aluminum
sections that are then welded together. It doesn't take fancy equipment and
some pretty bizarre shapes can be formed that would be impossible in a
bender-- mandrel or not.

Another alternative might be to make a mould and lay- up a composite duct
with epoxy + carbon fiber or, if your temperature requirements are not too
bad, polyester and glass. A turbocharger outlet duct would get pretty hot so
I wouldn't try polyester there but on the intake it might be OK.

Regards, Neil     Tucson, AZ