200 MPH Club

To: Ed Van Scoy <edvs@uswest.net>
Subject: 200 MPH Club
From: "Thomas E. Bryant" <saltracer@awwwsome.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 16:27:34 -0800
Ed,

  It seems that you have some good authority on the formation and the
early rules of the club. I had said that it was formed in 1951 because
that is what it says under the pictures on page 9 of the 1959 Program. I
found that the 1962 Program has a short article on the Club. It states
the Club was formed in 1953 with a total membership of five. At the
start of the 1962 season there were 53 members. The requirement to enter
the Club at that time was to make two runs in opposite directions
averaging over 200 MPH. One catch to this rule was that in order to get
a 2-way run at a Bonneville National's Meet was to qualify over a record
speed.

In the 1972 Program, Mark Dees, president of the Club 1971-73, wrote an
article about the "2" Club. In the article he mentions "Save the Salt"
efforts and appearing at the Governor's Committee on Historic Sites
Meeting and showing slides, taken by Dean Moon, to illustrate his points
about the deterioration of the Salt Flats. There is also a section of
the By-Laws of the Club which spells out the requirements to enter.

"2. Membership:

Any driver or rider of a wheel-driven automobile or motorcycle who is
timed at a two-way average speed of 200 mph or more over a straightaway
course not less than one-mile in length, to set a new record recognized
by the SCTA, Bonneville Nationals, Inc., AMA, or any timing association
affiliated with the FIA or FIM shall automatically become a member.
Persons establishing outstanding records in other types of land vehicles
may be elected to honorary membership.

If the organization sanctioning such record shall require that the
vehicle be driven by the same driver or rider who originally qualified
it, compliance with such requirement shall be a condition of admission
to membership."

I, too, would like to see someone or a group of people that were
involved back then put into writing the early history and continue on to
the present. I'm sure that there are by-laws, minutes, etc. that much of
this info could be drawn from. Wally Parks, Alex Xydias and Bill Burke
come to mind as possible authors.

At any rate, thanks for the historical info that you provided.

Tom, Redding CA - #216 D/GCC