Wheelbase3

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Wheelbase3
From: pork.pie@t-online.de (pork.pie)
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2001 18:37:21 +0100
Hi Malcolm,

you brought it to a good point.

The wheelbase or the track alone is not what counts.

It's a combination of ALL.

The MG - the Moss racer - was very close to the perfect aerodynamic shape -
like
the Railton - a waterdrop.

What I tried to explain, was, that a long wheelbase needs a stiff chassis,
otherwise you loose every advantage.

The Kugel Pontiac (Firebird) is a very good example of a compact chassis - the
combination with the nose, covered wheels, weights on the right place - makes
this successful package.

Also it's hard to say, what's a long and a short wheelbase is.
16 feet - this is around 4 1/2 meters - why we can't use the same dimensions -
for a truck, it would be a short wheelbase.
The streamliner I run with Don & Terry (#286) got around 15 1/2 feet, but is
only 21 inch wide, on the outside....the track is much smaller.

See ya

Pork Pie

Ps. Keith - what beer you prefer?